St. Joseph’s Park Avenue was founded in 1929 by the Sisters of St Joseph to meet the needs of the young children in the developing community on the north side in Rockhampton. The school building from Red Hill at Mount Morgan was inherited and the Sisters of St Joseph’s took up their call in Park Avenue. St Mary of the Cross MacKillop brought the Sisters of St Joseph to Queensland in 1869 and they actively went about opening and taking charge of schools in areas of need and growth. The Sisters maintained a leadership role at the school until 1982 when the first lay principal was appointed.
The school is situated in the established North Rockhampton suburb of Park Avenue and attracts families from all areas of Rockhampton. The majority of children live in the Park Avenue area and the northern suburbs along the Bruce Highway to The Caves. The school population represents a range of socio-economic and cultural groups. and there is a substantial, identified group of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children. The school has a policy of inclusivity and children with identified needs are accepted into the school after it has been established that the school is able to cater for their needs.